J316 Horses has invested allot of wet saddle blankets to ensure your safety and to help you find the horse of your dreams.
Here are just a few of our checklist items that each horse goes through:
1. Do they buck? This is our number one concern. We start out with a lunge lead line around their head and the other around their flank. This will tell you real quick if they have any buck left in them.
2. We personally take each horse out on the trail for real world obstacles (water, rocks, heavy brush, birds, deer, hogs, dogs, etc)
3. We take them out to the road with cars driving by.
4. Trailer loading and unloading. All horses are tested in a slant load trailer.
5. Do they stand quiet when you aren't moving.
6. Do they stand still for mounting and re-mounting?
7. When you turn around on the trail to come back, do they walk at the same pace or are they "Barn Sour"?
8. Are they socialized and get along with other horses?
9. Do they eat and drink good when away from home?
10. Flex tested for any health issues.
11. Good with the farrier?
12. No cribbing, weaving etc.
13. We identify any small personality quicks we can find and will let you know upfront.
14. We want our trail horses to have a decent handle but not have too many buttons. We want a simple horse that is going to be safe and fun to ride. Some people get impressed with all the fancy things some horses can do but don't realize this can not only be annoying if you are not skilled enough to use all those buttons, but it can be very dangerous in certain situations on the trail.